Investment Exclusions Guidelines
Wespath Benefits and Investments (Wespath) shall endeavor to exclude from investment the securities of companies that produce products and/or provide services that are not aligned with United Methodist values as described in the Social Principles, ¶717 of The Book of Discipline 2012 and Resolution 4071 ("Investment Ethics") of The Book of Resolutions 2012 provided that to do so does not abrogate Wespath’s fiduciary responsibility as described in ¶1504.14.
- The UMC Principles Committee will evaluate and approve Wespath ethical screening guidelines following each General Conference to ensure consistency with adopted Church positions.
- Management shall identify and maintain a list of companies excluded from investment. The list shall be updated monthly and made available to all Wespath external asset managers on a password protected Wespath web site.
- Investments shall not knowingly be made in any company or entity whose core business activity involves the production and/or assembly, direct sale, distribution, and/or marketing of the following products and/or services:
- a. alcoholic beverages;
- b. cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco or smokeless tobacco;
- c. gaming or lottery industries, including the ownership, operation or management of casinos, racetracks, off-track betting parlors and other gambling enterprises;
- d. adult entertainment, including pornography and other harmful materials;
- e. antipersonnel weapons (land mines, "assault‐type" automatic and semiautomatic weapons, firearms, etc.), armaments, ammunition or weapons delivery systems provided for commercial and private;
- f. privately operated correctional facilities, including jails, prisons, penitentiaries, detention centers, prison camps and transfer centers.