The Basics: What is Spiritual Health?
Spirit is what can not be defined as part of the body or as part of the mind. Body, mind, and spirit all have an affect on one and other. By improving your spiritual life you can contribute to the healing process. Spirituality may not be able to cure you, but it can help to cope with the pain and difficulties that accompany illness. Spiritual health is achieved when you feel at peace with life. It is when you are able to find hope and comfort in even the hardest of times. It can help to support you as you experience life completely. Spirituality is different for everyone.
When facing a chronic illness it may be easy to lose your spiritual health. There is a time in which you may be tempted to let go of your beliefs. It is important to remember that by keeping a healthy spiritual life you can better manage your physical health. Your spiritual life can help you to cope with any issues that may arise with your physical health. We are whole beings. Balance can keep us healthy and help us to recover.
If you are struggling with your spiritual health there are questions that you may want to ask yourself:
- What makes me feel most complete?
- When do I feel most connected to the rest of the world?
- Where do I find the most inner strength?
- What am I doing when I feel whole?
These questions may help you to find the things you can do to get inner peace. If you are able to achieve inner peace you can allow your body more strength for healing. Our physical bodies need us to feel at peace. This allows them time to rest and recover. This is another way that our spiritual health can contribute to our healing process.
Religion and spirituality are not always the same. Some people find there spiritual health in practicing religion. Others do not. It is whatever works for you. There is no right or wrong way to achieve spiritual health. Some ways that may improve your spiritual health include:
- Being in nature. Some people feel very connected and at peace when they are walking outdoors or are outside of the city.
- Helping others. Some feel the largest sense of wellbeing when they are of service to others. Being of service can take on many forms. It can be doing volunteer work, being kind to strangers, or offering a hand to a friend in need.
- Gratitude. Some people find they feel the most connected when they remain grateful. They may make lists of all the things they are grateful for or say a thank you out loud for all they have.
- Religion. Some find the meaning of life through the ritual and practice of religion.
What ever helps to bring hope for the future can serve to keep you spiritually healthy. Keeping a positive outlook and remaining hopeful can help the healing process. As whole human beings all parts of us are connected. By working to keep all parts healthy we can help our bodies, minds, and souls to remain complete.
© OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions by United Behavioral Health. All rights reserved.