Ministerial Pension Plan
The Ministerial Pension Plan (MPP) is a 403(b) retirement plan administered by Wespath that provides benefits to eligible United Methodist Church clergy with service from 1982 through 2006. MPP is part of the Clergy Retirement Security Program (CRSP).
MPP was closed to new enrollments and no contributions were made after December 31, 2006. MPP was replaced by CRSP on January 1, 2007. The accounts of clergy who participated in MPP continue to be invested, and benefits are available at retirement or at age 62 for terminated clergy.*
MPP requires that 65% of the account be annuitized and the remaining 35% must be taken as a one-time distribution. The one-time distribution can be rolled over into the United Methodist Personal Investment Plan (UMPIP), which offers several distribution options, or is automatically distributed through LifeStage Retirement Income. As an alternative option, you may choose to roll over the remainder into another qualified plan or individual retirement account (IRA), or you may receive it in a lump sum payout.
Video: Determining MPP Benefit Payment Amounts
Wespath's Chief Investment Officer Dave Zellner explains how account balances and interest rates work together to determine benefit payment amounts.
If you participated in MPP, your MPP balance will remain invested and will be part of your retirement portfolio. Get a full picture of your retirement portfolio by viewing all of your Wespath retirement accounts online through Benefits Access. Information about your MPP account is also available on your quarterly account statement.
You can apply for your benefits online through Benefits Access.
If you have questions about MPP, call a Wespath representative at 1-800-851-2201 business days from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Central time.
* Active clergy who terminate under ¶360 of The Book of Discipline are treated as terminated vested participants. Monthly lifetime benefits in CRSP, and Pre-82 are converted to an equivalent account balance, which is transferred along with any account balance in CRSP and MPP, to UMPIP.